Wednesday 10 August 2011

Today has not been a great day.  I have felt really quite poorly, terrible stomach pains and I can't help but think there is a cold brewing, sore throat, achy pains and the occasional sneezing fits ..... great !!

I have been of late contemplating ways in which I might be able to do some model making again.  I dabbled a little before Jnr was born but everything had to go back into the loft as I didn't have the space.  I NEED A GIRLIE SHED !!!  Anyway I still don't really have the space but I have so many ideas I need to get creative.

My plan is to eventually design and build a 1940's kitchen room box, in the hope that one day when space is available (yes I WILL move) I can design and build additional boxes to make a house of sorts.  I am also planning and designing a small bakery but something a little quirky ... I am not going to say much else about that only that I need to hit the charity shops and or car boot sales.

In the meantime whilst researching 1940's décor and thinking of design elements I decided to try my hand at making a piece of furniture just to see if 1) I could actually do it and b) how easy or hard is it.  I decided that a bookshelf would probably be the easiest to try first.  Taking measurements from a real size bookcase I scaled it down and this is the result...







I also had a go at making the books too.  For first attempts I am actually quite pleased with the results.  There is a few things that are not quite right but lessons learnt.  For a start glue !!! Best not smear it all over, although once it dries it can't be seen when you come to stain it resists.  In this instance I quite like it it gives the feel of well used piece of furniture but for future more precise pieces I need to remember be sparing with the glue.

Here's hoping I feel better tomorrow as I can feel cabin fever setting in.

No comments: